Rivalries headline week one action
Updated: Aug 27, 2020
Photo by Randy Fielding
Jasper at Cullman
- The 72nd meeting between these two teams and it could not be any closer in this rivalry game. Jasper holds a slim edge in the series 35-34-2.
- Jasper defeated Cullman 21-19 last season in a thriller at Ki-Ro Gambrell Field.
- Both teams won their opening game. Jasper defeated Mars Hill 30-20 while Cullman blanked 7A Grissom on the road 23-0.
Cordova at Carbon Hill (Thursday)
- Carbon Hill looks to start the season 2-0 for the first time since 2002. The Bulldogs defeated Curry last week 48-28.
- Cordova lost its season opener to arch-rival Dora last week 21-6. QB Cody Headrick was 14 of 27 for 187 yards.
- Cordova leads the series 44-21-3. The two teams have not met since 2015.
Curry at Oakman (Thursday)
- Both teams are looking for their first win of the 2020 season. Oakman lost its opener to Gordo last week 48-19 while Carbon Hill downed Curry 48-28.
- This is the second game of a three-game homestand for the Wildcats.
- Curry is riding a losing streak dating back to October 12, 2018.
- Oakman leads the series 27-17-6
Dora vs Holt (Thursday)
- The Bulldogs host the Holt Ironmen from Tuscaloosa.
- Dora defeated Cordova 21-6 in the opener. Jamarcus Goodmon led the Bulldog ground game with 114 yards on 17 carries and a touchdown.
- Holt lost its opener at Central-Tuscaloosa 50-6.
- This series dates back to 1966 with the Ironmen holding the edge with four wins and two losses. This is the first meeting between the two teams since 2005.
Sumiton Christian at Cherokee Thursday
- Victory Christian scored 20 unanswered points to hand Sumiton Christian a home loss last week 20-8.
- This is only the second meeting between the two teams. Sumiton Christian beat Cherokee in 2016 by a score of 49-28.
GAMES ON RADIO:
Jasper at Cullman - WJLX 101.5 FM
Lynn at Addison - WJBE 88.5 FM